10.30.2006

Coffee at Mable's

So I was having coffe at Mable´s the other afternoon.

I says to Mable, I says, ¨Mable, I read this book, see. It´s called Rules of Attraction and it´s about a buncha kids who don´t know what they´re really doing and they´re just trying to figure out how they´re gonna live their lives. And I get to thinking, Mable, I get to thinking. I think, why this don´t affect us, yknow? I get to thinking why Im so different from these kids, yknow? When it was over, all I could think about was how this entire notion of oneself, what we are, is just this logical structure, a place to momentarily house all the abstractions. It was a time to become conscious, to give form and coherence to the mystery, and I had been a part of that. It was a gift. Life was raging all around me and every moment was magical. I loved all the people, dealing with all the contradictory impulses - that's what I loved the most, connecting with the people. Looking back, that's all that really mattered.¨

Mable wasn´t listening because she was on the phone with Marcy, who´s gotten really fat since she had the kid. The coffee was too sweet; Mable always makes her coffee too sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home